Most Recent Story: Miami Tennis Wins Third Straight MAC Tourney and NCAA Berth
OXFORD, Ohio – The Miami University women’s tennis team claimed its third consecutive Mid-American Conference Women’s Tennis Tournament Championship with a 4-0 victory over Ball State Sunday afternoon at the Hepburn Varsity Tennis Courts.
The title marks the fifth in school history for the RedHawks (16-6, 8-0 MAC) and gives them an automatic berth in the 2015 NCAA Division I Women’s Tennis Championship. Miami finishes the season with 11 consecutive victories and 14 in their last 15 outings. Head Coach Yana S. Carollo becomes the first Miami coach to win a MAC Tournament title in her first season.
Senior Alix Thurman and freshman Hannah Shteyn were named to the All-Tournament Team, with Thurman earning her second consecutive Tournament MVP award.
In doubles, Miami quickly picked up an opening win as senior Christine Guerrazzi and freshman Nelli Ponomareva defeated Rosalinda Calderon and Courtney Earnest, 6-2, in first flight. The All-Tournament pair of Thurman and Shteyn won their 11th consecutive match in a tight 7-5 result over Bethany Moore and Courtney Wild that clinched the doubles point for the RedHawks. The remaining third flight match was abandoned with senior Ramona Costea and sophomore Andreea Badileanu leading Toni Ormond and Ashlyn Rang, 6-5.... [Read the entire story]
Other Recent Stories
Thu, May 30, 2013
- Miami Wins Jacoby Title as MAC's Best Women's Program
- Good Luck to Miami Volleyball!
- Michigan Double Dip
- Miami Volleyball Wins MAC Tournament Title!
- Big Games Ahead For MAC-Leading Miami Volleyball
- MAC East Leading Miami Volleyball To Begin Four Match Homestand
- Tripleheader Saturday
- Tournament Time
- Reihman named MAC East POTW
- Miami finishes second at Pitt Invitational
- Miami beats Temple, 3-1, finishes second at Hofstra
- Miami wins first match of season
- RedHawks picked to finish second in MAC East
- Volleyball gets new assistant coach
- Muncie newspaper features RedHawk
- Coming up Aces
- Tourney prepares RedHawk spikers for MAC
- Follow the VolleyHawks in Blacksburg
- Buroker named Scholar-Athlete of the Week
- Make or break weekend
- "New" RedHawks sweep Marshall
- McCullough's 1000th kill not enough
- A couple of Katies commit
- Eaton adds Scholar-Athlete Award
- Eaton, Cunningham win weekly honors