Miami Hawk Talk News
Most Recent Story: John Harbaugh Cradle of Coaches Plaza Statue Dedication April 19
OXFORD, Ohio - Super Bowl champion coach John Harbaugh, a 1984 graduate of Miami University, will be inducted into the Cradle of Coaches Association and immortalized with a statue at Yager Stadium’s Cradle of Coaches Plaza on Saturday, April 19. Harbaugh’s bronze, full-body image will depict him on the sidelines as coach of the 2013 Super Bowl XLVII champion Baltimore Ravens.
The festivities will begin at 11 a.m. with the ground breaking of the Indoor Sports Center, followed by the statue dedication at 11:30. The dedication will take place in the Cradle of Coaches Plaza on the south end of Yager Stadium. The public is encouraged to attend and are invited to watch a football practice after the completion of the ceremony. All three events will be free to attend.
Prior to the unveiling, a reception and dinner will take place on Friday, April 18, beginning at 5 p.m. inside the Shriver Center on the campus of Miami University. For more details on the event contact Brenda Bertsch at 513-529-8097 or
The statue of Harbaugh will join the existing Cradle of Coaches statues of Earl “Red” Blaik, Paul Brown, Carm Cozza, Paul Dietzel, Wilbur “Weeb” Ewbank, Ara Parseghian, John Pont and Glenn “Bo” Schembechler. The statues honor Miami graduates who have earned recognition as national collegiate or professional coaches of the year, who have been inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame or the Pro Football Hall of Fame, or whose teams won national collegiate or professional/Super Bowl championships.
Harbaugh’s image also will be added to the Cradle of Coaches mural that is on front of the scoreboard on the south end of Yager Stadium.
Following the 34-31 triumph by his Baltimore Ravens over the San Francisco 49ers on Feb. 3, 2013, Harbaugh joined Ewbank (’28) as members of Miami’s famed Cradle of Coaches who have taken their teams to NFL supremacy. One other Miamian, Paul Brown (’30), won NFL World Champion titles in 1950, ‘54 and ‘55 as head coach of the Cleveland Browns. In addition, Ewbank’s Baltimore Colts of 1958 and ‘59 were also pre-Super Bowl NFL champs.
Inspired by Bob Kurz, who coined the phrase “Cradle of Coaches”, a donation for the Plaza was originally presented to the University in 1994 from Kurz and his wife, Marian. Located adjacent to the south end of Yager Stadium, the Plaza is a tribute to the nine Miami graduates who have earned recognition as national collegiate or professional coaches of the year and/or been inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame or Pro Football Hall of Fame, or who have won a Super Bowl.
A generous gift from the family of Thomas P. Van Voorhis, announced August 27, 2009, has helped provide the crowning touches to the Cradle of Coaches Plaza. The $1.0 million gift, provided by Daniel T. Van Voorhis-a grandson of Thomas P. Van Voorhis and a successful businessman-has been used to create nine heroic-scale figures to represent and honor the men at the heart of the Cradle of Coaches tradition. The statue of Thomas Van Voorhis stands just outside the gates of the Plaza. Harbaugh’s statue will be the ninth coach and the 10th overall addition to the plaza.
To see the plaza on gameday in 2014, purchase your season tickets HERE.
Other Recent Stories
Wed, March 19, 2014
- Ice Hockey, General News: Miami goes wire to wire to Win 2014 National Title
Sat, March 15, 2014
- Ice Hockey, General News: RedHawks Sweep #1 Huskies with 4-3 Win
Wed, February 5, 2014
- Football, General News: Coach Martin Announces 2014 Football Recruiting Class
Mon, December 16, 2013
- Football, Baseball, Men's Cross Country and Track, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Women's Cross Country and Track, Tennis: Miami Announces New Indoor Sports Center
Tue, December 3, 2013
- Football, General News: Chuck Martin Named Head Football Coach
- Football, General News: Notre Dame Offensive Coordinator Hired as Miami Head Football Coach
Sat, November 9, 2013
- Field Hockey: Miami Wins MAC Field Hockey Tournament Championship
Tue, November 5, 2013
- Women's Cross Country and Track, General News: Miami Women Take MAC Cross Country Title
Thu, August 1, 2013
- Football, General News: Miami Pigskin Preview and Cookout Set for Aug. 17
Wed, July 24, 2013
- Football: Miami Unveils Bold New Football Uniforms
Fri, June 7, 2013
- Men's Basketball: Remembering Miami and MAC Legend, Charlie Coles
Thu, May 30, 2013
- Soccer, Volleyball, Women's Basketball, Softball, Field Hockey, Women's Cross Country and Track, Synchronized Skating, Women's Swimming and Diving, Tennis, General News: Miami Wins Jacoby Title as MAC's Best Women's Program
Tue, April 30, 2013
Sun, April 28, 2013
Tue, April 23, 2013
Sat, April 13, 2013
Sun, March 31, 2013
- Ice Hockey: Miami Tops MSU, Advances to NCAA Regional Final
Mon, March 25, 2013
Thu, March 21, 2013
- Ice Hockey: Czarnik Named a Hobey Baker Award Finalist
Tue, March 19, 2013
- Women's Basketball: Miami Women's Basketball Selected to 2013 WNIT; opens at Illinois
Mon, March 18, 2013
- Ice Hockey: Detroit Bound: Miami Advances to CCHA Semis
Thu, March 7, 2013
Sun, March 3, 2013
- Women's Swimming and Diving: Miami Women's Swimming and Diving Wins 17th MAC Championship
Thu, February 21, 2013
- Women's Basketball: Courtney Osborn Becomes Miami Women's Basketball All-Time Leading Scorer
Thu, December 13, 2012
- General News: David Sayler Named Miami Athletic Director
Tue, December 4, 2012
Sun, December 2, 2012
- Ice Hockey: No. 4 Miami Blanks Alaska to Complete Sweep
Mon, November 26, 2012
- Men's Basketball: RedHawks Down JMU Dukes, 76-58
Thu, November 22, 2012
- Men's Basketball: 2nd Half Surge Leads Miami to 72-59 Win vs William & Mary
Sun, November 11, 2012