Student injured

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MiamiHawkTalk.com Forum Index -> Oxford Press
« View previous topic :: View next topic »
icepics
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Student injured Reply with quote

There was just something on the news about a female student hit by a car and airlifted to University Hospital about 4:00 this afternoon. Apparently it was at a crosswalk on 27 near Western campus and the driver was cited for failure to yield.
redhawks628
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_north_cincinnati/oxford/miami-university-student-struck-by-car
I am 4Hawks
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one of them was on a cell phone? I hope she's okay
Lifetime member Miami Alumni Association
Goal-rilla
Casual basketball fan

That happened so fast I had to add another gorilla
RedHawkBandMan
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 4Hawks wrote:
Which one of them was on a cell phone? I hope she's okay

The article says that the driver of the car in the left-turn lane signaled to the student that they would wait for her to cross. Depending on where she was when the car that struck her was coming up the right lane, it may have been very difficult to see her. Yes, that driver should have been careful considering they were driving through a busy intersection with lots of students walking around, but there's a reason you should NEVER signal a person or car to pull out in front of you in that situation.

Not saying a cell phone wasn't involved, but in that particular situation it is easy to see how something like this could happen without it.
MiamiSkins
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never signal for anyone to walk out in front of me because I can't control what other drivers in the opposite lane of traffic are going to do. A police officer once told me that if you signal for someone to pull out or walk in front of your car in order to cross the street and they are hit while doing so that you could be held accountable for that because you have signaled that it was safe for them do so when in fact it was not. I have no idea if the officer was correct in that statement but I still don't signal for others to pull out or cross in front of me, too many times have I seen someone do that and almost get hit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MiamiHawkTalk.com Forum Index -> Oxford Press All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: