Comings and goings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MiamiHawkTalk.com Forum Index -> Oxford Press
« View previous topic :: View next topic »
redlad
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Comings and goings Reply with quote

I hear Maid Rite is closing its doors uptown...can anyone confirm. They were open less than a year I think
miamisteve
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard the same thing from someone i know who lives in town. sad to see them go so quickly...
meanstreetposse
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have not heard they are closing but it wouldn't suprise me. didn't seem to catch on with students. adult folk seem to like it though. they are one of those instances where being uptown probably hurts them as the adult folk tend to avoid uptown in favor of more convenient options.
CAredhawk13
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were always doing dollar sandwich night, but would run out of buns by 7:30 or 8, didn't seem to be managed very well,
Behind the Bench
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, there was a sign on the door (which was boarded over with plywood) that read "Closed Temporarily Due to Vandalism"
colonel panic
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behind the Bench wrote:
Yesterday, there was a sign on the door (which was boarded over with plywood) that read "Closed Temporarily Due to Vandalism"

I can confirm this, as of one hour ago. Lights were on inside, but plywood on the door and brown paper covering the windows.
Behind the Bench
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vandalized:

http://www.miamistudent.net/news/community/police-beat-11-12-10-1.1772745

and Closed:

http://www.miamistudent.net/news/community/uptown-business-landscape-changes-1.1772734
OldSchoolScholar
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, not shedding any tears about the closing of a restaurant that makes sandwiches that have half the meat landing in your lap by the third bite. Sad
But if ya gotta have it, it's only a 50-mile drive up Rt.127 to Greenville to the original MaidWrong.
Professor Fate
a/k/a Cookie Monster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolScholar wrote:
Personally, not shedding any tears about the closing of a restaurant that makes sandwiches that have half the meat landing in your lap by the third bite. Sad
But if ya gotta have it, it's only a 50-mile drive up Rt.127 to Greenville to the original MaidWrong.

You obviously don't understand how to eat a MaidRite. You have a bag of chips with it and use them to help scoop up the extra meat that falls out of the bun. OR, you can use your fingers and put the meat back into the bun. But I guess if Mommy's not there to help feed you, picking up meat, from the wrapper, is a difficult concept.

You'll always have McDonald's and their food that contains enough preservatives to keep Lenin fresh for the next 1,000 years.

"That is Jurgen being German" - Andreas Herzog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if that means that the Maid Rite logo on the Hockey scoreboard will be lifted??

Bring in Panera Bread!
HawkLBacker
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is jimmy johns still in oxford?
MUHawk0408
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HawkLBacker wrote:

Yes, and I would say they are doing well. $5 for a decent sandwich beckons drunk people like the siren song.
ResearchSkin
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, and I would say they are doing well. $5 for a decent sandwich beckons drunk people like the siren song.

Makes me miss Chuck and his amazing Chuckburgers. I think they were around $1. Crying or Very sad
HawksVox
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redhawkey wrote:

Bring in Panera Bread!

I was hoping I wasn't the only one who thinks Oxford is more than ready for a Panera. The appeal of this restaurant to students and townspeople alike would seem to make it the perfect fit for one of those open first floor retail spaces on High Street, or in the open building at Stewart Square. To me, the two most logical establishments not already in Oxtown are a Panera and a Graeter's.
I am 4Hawks
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have something that was unique to Oxford instead of a chain...gee that's great... the exact same food I can get anywhere else.
Lifetime member Miami Alumni Association
Goal-rilla
Casual basketball fan

That happened so fast I had to add another gorilla
MUHawk0408
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 4Hawks wrote:
I'd rather have something that was unique to Oxford instead of a chain...gee that's great... the exact same food I can get anywhere else.

Except you need to drive 30 minutes to the nearest one. It would do very well here and everyone (especially the non-driving students) would love to see it.
thechuck_2112
Truck Killah!

Location: drinking Hennessy with Morrissey on a beach out of reach somewhere very far away

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 4Hawks wrote:

In fairness, people who come down 10-12 weekends a year aren't exactly the target market for fast food places Uptown.

"You white people are crazy!" -- Matt Sussman
OldSchoolScholar
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie Monster wrote:
OldSchoolScholar wrote:

You obviously don't understand how to eat a MaidRite. You have a bag of chips with it and use them to help scoop up the extra meat that falls out of the bun. OR, you can use your fingers and put the meat back into the bun. But I guess if Mommy's not there to help feed you, picking up meat, from the wrapper, is a difficult concept.

You'll always have McDonald's and their food that contains enough preservatives to keep Lenin fresh for the next 1,000 years.

It's not the preservatives, it's the fat. When Mommy and I go to McDonald's, she lets me get the Happy Meal so I can play with the toy in the car on the way home. In the summer, I ride my bike to McDonald's after my piano lesson and use the meat patty from the hamburger to lubricate my bicycle chain. So I obviously already know all about the fat content, Mr. Smartypants! Rolling Eyes
Axeme
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolScholar wrote:

No, no, no, no, no! That crap in Greenville is far from original. The real Maid-Rite is from Muscatine, Iowa and originated in the 1920's, several decades before someone ripped off the name and started the Greenville place.

My father-in-law owned one in Dubuque, IA before he retired, and I became all too well versed in Maid-Rite lore. They are an Iowa staple. If you get one there, it comes with mustard and pickle and a spoon in the fold of the wrapper. Pretty good onion rings, too. Some of the franchises now don't use the secret seasoning, which to my Iowa relatives is a crime against nature.

I recommend the ones in Dubuque, Marshalltown, and Toledo, IA. There is one off of 75 near Piqua, but they don't know what they are doing. Cool
OldSchoolScholar
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Wichita, KS, they have a similar sandwich called a NuWay. Had to eat way too many of those over the years while once married to a miserable b!tch from that Cowtown.........but I digress.
A NuWay eats just like a MaidRite. Scoop the meat off your lap with the spoon.......
laxmom
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HawksVox wrote:
redhawkey wrote:

Bring in Panera Bread!

I was hoping I wasn't the only one who thinks Oxford is more than ready for a Panera. The appeal of this restaurant to students and townspeople alike would seem to make it the perfect fit for one of those open first floor retail spaces on High Street, or in the open building at Stewart Square. To me, the two most logical establishments not already in Oxtown are a Panera and a Graeter's.

and isn't one of the owner of Graeters a Miami alumnus?
I am 4Hawks
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MUHawk0408 wrote:
I am 4Hawks wrote:

Except you need to drive 30 minutes to the nearest one. It would do very well here and everyone (especially the non-driving students) would love to see it.

I've never been a huge fan as I have a few good italian bakeries not far from me and Panera can't touch the price, quality or selection so they're kind of a non-factor when there's a Presti's Bakery

http://www.prestisbakery.com/index.htm
Lifetime member Miami Alumni Association
Goal-rilla
Casual basketball fan

That happened so fast I had to add another gorilla
HawkLBacker
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MUHawk0408 wrote:
HawkLBacker wrote:

bagel barrell was always signing the Cool Jules tune for me....maybe even a Jones or two for the walk back to the dorm too....
mattsledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HawksVox wrote:
redhawkey wrote:

Bring in Panera Bread!

My mother wrote to Panera, asking them to open an Oxford location. Their reply was along the line of that after extensive studies, they didn't want to do a location in Oxford because of poor summer business.
MrG
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triple D is looking for TEST KITCHEN/college town to open a restaurant/dive/dinner - Oxford might be perfect. He can do a summer show from there during down season and supply mega-foods for college student during the year collected from around the country.

He's looked at cowlumbus several times, someone oughta pitch Miami to him. It's a perfect place for him to move his family and show for a summer home too. (And I bet he's a hockey fan too!)

If he does odds are Mollaut or Chuck are first two to get mega-sandwiches named after them.
ESPN is to the BCS what FOX News is to the Republican party. Though it is hard to tell who's got their head up the arses of the other farther. Rest of the world, just has to watch their interests flicker by on the ticker tape meanwhile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MiamiHawkTalk.com Forum Index -> Oxford Press All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: