Eddie Fingers Fired?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MiamiHawkTalk.com Forum Index -> Oxford Press
« View previous topic :: View next topic »
meanstreetposse
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
About a month ago, Fingers he exchanged emails about his contract with an out-of-town executive for San Antonio-based Clear Channel, he said. The company had offered him a new contract; Fingers responded by saying he already had an option for a third year on the contract he signed two years ago, he said.

“They pretended that the option didn’t exist,” Fingers said. He countered by proposing to eliminate a bonus, but “keep the basic (contract) structure in place,” he said.

Quote:
“I was told, ‘We reached an impasse,’ and goodbye,” Fingers said. “I did ask Chuck at one point, ‘If I offer to take two-thirds of my salary, I’m still fired?’ And he said, ‘The call has been made.’ I’ve been told by many others that I was chosen to make an example for Clear Channel. If they can fire Eddie Fingers from a No. 1 show, they can fire anyone,” he said

Sound like Clear Channel. Ignoring contracts and cutting off their nose to spite their face.
mattsledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MU Jim wrote:
mattsledge wrote:
For the amount of hate I have seen across the 'net for the show that was previously Eddie's, it was the #1 ranked show in Cincinnati for its timeslot.

Why so, you ask? For the same reason Howard Stern dominated the ratings when he was on regular radio: People wanted to know what he was going to say next.

Does this crap really get a Howard Stern response, that people who hate them listen more than those that love him? It doesn't get that from me, I just turn the dial, I wish that I could have some kind of parental control on my car radio that would prevent me from accidentally switching to 700 between 3 and 6. I can tell you what Tracy is going to say next, "How much do you weigh...", "Richard lives in Indian Hill...", "Do you live in Norwood"...

Eddie was the only redeeming thing about that show. I could actually stand to listen to it when Tracy was on vacation.

Yes, it DOES get a Howard Stern response. There's a reason they were #1 in their timeslot, and it wasn't because they were talking about flowers and how to properly vacuum a carpet.

Love 'em or hate 'em, they drew a response - and that's what WLW wanted.
MU Jim
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsledge wrote:
MU Jim wrote:
mattsledge wrote:
For the amount of hate I have seen across the 'net for the show that was previously Eddie's, it was the #1 ranked show in Cincinnati for its timeslot.

Why so, you ask? For the same reason Howard Stern dominated the ratings when he was on regular radio: People wanted to know what he was going to say next.

Does this crap really get a Howard Stern response, that people who hate them listen more than those that love him? It doesn't get that from me, I just turn the dial, I wish that I could have some kind of parental control on my car radio that would prevent me from accidentally switching to 700 between 3 and 6. I can tell you what Tracy is going to say next, "How much do you weigh...", "Richard lives in Indian Hill...", "Do you live in Norwood"...

Eddie was the only redeeming thing about that show. I could actually stand to listen to it when Tracy was on vacation.

Yes, it DOES get a Howard Stern response. There's a reason they were #1 in their timeslot, and it wasn't because they were talking about flowers and how to properly vacuum a carpet.

Love 'em or hate 'em, they drew a response - and that's what WLW wanted.

Couldn't 700 pretty much play static (plus news and traffic) from 3-6 and be damn close to #1?

Of course, Willie wins national awards, so wtf do I know about radio?
thechuck_2112
Truck Killah!

Location: drinking Hennessy with Morrissey on a beach out of reach somewhere very far away

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is it was all downhill after Gary Burbank retired.

"You white people are crazy!" -- Matt Sussman
MU Jim
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechuck_2112 wrote:

Amellelujah!!
RedSteve
Serious Case of the Mondays

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechuck_2112 wrote:

+700
Steverem
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedSteve wrote:
thechuck_2112 wrote:

+700

The retirement of Burbank and Jim Borgman more or less closed the era of the Cincinnati I knew growing up.

At least Al Schottelkotte is still on the air, right?
thechuck_2112
Truck Killah!

Location: drinking Hennessy with Morrissey on a beach out of reach somewhere very far away

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a "cute kid," I always wanted to call in to Sports or Consequences, but never got around to it. Oh well.

"You white people are crazy!" -- Matt Sussman
kamuohio
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawn.. Only listen to 700 when there is a game on.
Steverem
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechuck_2112 wrote:
When I was a "cute kid," I always wanted to call in to Sports or Consequences, but never got around to it. Oh well.

I never did call in, although I had the question I would've asked: What (now former) NFL player holds the DIII record for season FG percentage in basketball. [Answer: Pete Metzelaars]
icepics
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporate radio... anybody remember the extensive job cuts in local radio a few years ago? The abrupt firing of an apparently successful on-air personalty isn't exactly a huge surprise coming from Clear Channel.
Lefty
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechuck_2112 wrote:

Gary gave me a new name because I kept getting blown up for being the second contestant with the same name in a day. Some other Steve always beat me in. So he suggested a name that nobody else would have-Nebudchednezzar-and I went with that for years. My favorite question asked: What does a grounds crew do to artificial turf before a game so the players don't slip on it?

Answer: Put some water on it!
The Nomad
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gosh.

Scott Sloan absolutely blows. The show with him and Tracy today was totally brutal. I'm starting to feel bad for Tracy. Between Sloan and Parks, it has been a miserable two weeks.

Guess I'm sucker for still tuning in. I need to give Clear Channel what they deserve- lower ratings for not bringing back one of their best personalities Rolling Eyes
Mowch
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steverem wrote:
thechuck_2112 wrote:

I never did call in, although I had the question I would've asked: What (now former) NFL player holds the DIII record for season FG percentage in basketball. [Answer: Pete Metzelaars]

Same here, never called. My question: "Who holds the NBA record for most points in a single overtime?" -- Butch Carter (which was broken a few year ago by Earl Boykins) Could have given them all kinds of hints.
Lefty
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nomad wrote:
My gosh.

Scott Sloan absolutely blows. The show with him and Tracy today was totally brutal. I'm starting to feel bad for Tracy. Between Sloan and Parks, it has been a miserable two weeks.

Guess I'm sucker for still tuning in. I need to give Clear Channel what they deserve- lower ratings for not bringing back one of their best personalities Rolling Eyes

Sloan is horrible at night. He talks 20 minutes, takes a caller, lets them speak for 10 seconds, then talks 20 minutes more. He might get 2 callers an hour between his monologues.
Lefty
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once approached the mountain during Pete's playing manager days on Sports or Consequences. My question was, "When Pete Rose comes to bat, does he look to the third base coach for a sign?"

Andy Mac's answer: "Yes, because if he didn't, the third base coach might get his feelings hurt by being left out of the loop."
DiamondHawk
The Voice Of The Hockey 'Hawks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the favorite part of my day when I interned at The Big One in 1986 was doing Sports or Consequences. My all-time favorite show was when Gary went on some kind of rant about the sanctity of the show and its participants and how it related to the greatness of America. Somehow - and the show was always 100%
ad-lib - the rest of us began humming "America The Beautiful" softly in the background. Gary kept getting more passionate about his subject and we kept getting louder in the background. Then, in one perfect moment, everyone stopped and we had a perfect comedic pause which Gary broke with his punchline, "Oh... never mind." and threw it to John Phillips for a traffic update. It took eveything we had to stay quiet. As soon as he closed the mic, the room exploded with laughter. We were on the floor for nearly three minutes. Man, great times!
JohnnyMac
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

Location: Born and raised in South Detroit (which is Toledo, BTW)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojo Nixon addressed the Fingers firing on his Sirius show this afternoon. He called Eddie a friend, said he worked with Eddie at WEBN, and that Eddie's show was #1 in Cincinnati.

And then, he said, not once, not twice, but three times, and I quote, "Clear Channel sucks the devil's di**."
meanstreetposse
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyMac wrote:
Mojo Nixon addressed the Fingers firing on his Sirius show this afternoon. He called Eddie a friend, said he worked with Eddie at WEBN, and that Eddie's show was #1 in Cincinnati.

And then, he said, not once, not twice, but three times, and I quote, "Clear Channel sucks the devil's di**."

Mojo Nixon. One of my favorite alums.
HawksVox
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiamondHawk wrote:
Probably the favorite part of my day when I interned at The Big One in 1986 was doing Sports or Consequences. ... Man, great times!

I am so envious that you had that wonderful opportunity to work with a broadcaster who understood how to entertain without crossing the line into tawdry and self-indulgent drivel designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It must have been like working with Johnny Carson. I simply cannot understand how people can find that (what passes for "talk" on WLW) appealing. Burbank was a giant.
OldSchoolScholar
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The management at ClearChannel actually intended to fire Tracy Jones rather than Eddie Fingers but, when some bigwig in Administration from San Antonio phoned WLW to ask how to spell "Jones," a former mediocre outfielder who had a less-than-stellar baseball career with five major league teams picked up the phone and replied "F-i-n-g-e-r-s."
A sad, sad story. Too bad for Eddie. Wrong outcome. Evil or Very Mad
EJ'89
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanstreetposse wrote:
JohnnyMac wrote:

Quote:
If you don't got Mojo Nixon then your store could use some fixin'

{ducking Sledge}

Laughing
MiamiMAC
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ'89 wrote:
meanstreetposse wrote:
JohnnyMac wrote:

Quote:

{ducking Sledge}

:lol:

+1809 bottles of milk.
mattsledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ'89 wrote:
meanstreetposse wrote:
JohnnyMac wrote:

Quote:

{ducking Sledge}

Laughing

I don't mind the song now that I haven't heard it in over 6 years. It used to be (at the time) every week that I was subjected to something akin to 'nails on the chalkboard' torture.
meanstreetposse
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJYjr-vUKZM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MiamiHawkTalk.com Forum Index -> Oxford Press All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: