New Pizza Place in Oxford?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MiamiHawkTalk.com Forum Index -> Oxford Press
« View previous topic :: View next topic »
redhawkhead
Off-Campus Slummer
Off-Campus Slummer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: New Pizza Place in Oxford? Reply with quote

It's possible, so says the Student.

http://www.miamistudent.net/news/community/dine-in-pizza-shop-hopes-to-open-in-oxford-1.1650453

This quote puzzled me:
Quote:
"I would love for a pizza place to come to Oxford if it was good," senior Dave Williams said. "A college town needs to be complete with a good local pizza place, and we don't have one."

Discuss.
MiamiSkins
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Brunos and SDS for some good local pizza
MrG
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keyword Good...

SDS- fights back especially the next day.
Brunos- is just drinking ballast and filling.
ESPN is to the BCS what FOX News is to the Republican party. Though it is hard to tell who's got their head up the arses of the other farther. Rest of the world, just has to watch their interests flicker by on the ticker tape meanwhile.
redhawkhead
Off-Campus Slummer
Off-Campus Slummer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiamiSkins wrote:
How about Brunos and SDS for some good local pizza

I was thinking SDS among the local 'indies', if you will. Bruno's never really did it for me considering that if you're sober their 'za tastes like something you could get from Kroger. I respect what they have done, though.
thechuck_2112
Truck Killah!

Location: drinking Hennessy with Morrissey on a beach out of reach somewhere very far away

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruno's tastes like cardboard with grease on it, and SDS is only marginally better. (Though the Turkey Gobbler is impossible to beat.)

"You white people are crazy!" -- Matt Sussman
redlad
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechuck_2112 wrote:
Bruno's tastes like cardboard with grease on it, and SDS is only marginally better. (Though the Turkey Gobbler is impossible to beat.)

I'm guessing you have not had SDS in the last few years- the new ownership worked hard on upgrading it - and they succeeded!!!! I encourage everyone to give it a try when you are in town.
MUfan
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechuck_2112 wrote:
(Though the Turkey Gobbler is impossible to beat.)

Quite true.

"And then hit the hot springs the next day all the while searching for pain meds." - skin66
I am 4Hawks
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know an alum over 30 or kid under 16 who thinks a trip to Oxford is complete without a trip to Bruno's. Today's student was raised on chain pizza and expects all of it to taste like Pizza Hut, Dominos, or Papa John's. That's fine, but boring to me. I like the local pizza joints and I go there for the atmosphere as much as the food. Once the original Bruno's burned a lot of that was lost. The Bruno's I had after the EMU game was better than ever. Now when Greek's was around ...that was awful. Gristle filled sausage and always burnt on the bottom.

I wish Oxford had something like this:

http://www.compolastastypizza.com/ or other Cleveland pizza places like Geraci's, Mama Santa's or Pizzaz
Lifetime member Miami Alumni Association
Goal-rilla
Casual basketball fan

That happened so fast I had to add another gorilla

Last edited by I am 4Hawks on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:32 am; edited 3 times in total
MUDawgFan
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 4Hawks wrote:
I don't know an alum over 30 or kid under 16 who thinks a trip to Oxford is complete without a trip to Bruno's. Today's student was raised on chain pizza and expects all of it to taste like Pizza Hut, Dominos, or Papa John's. The Bruno's I had after the EMU game was better than ever.

Chuck just likes his pizza with fresh goat cheese, capacola, shredded kamalata olives...etc
He's a fancy pants when it comes to his pizza Wink
I am 4Hawks
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MUDawgFan wrote:
I am 4Hawks wrote:
I don't know an alum over 30 or kid under 16 who thinks a trip to Oxford is complete without a trip to Bruno's. Today's student was raised on chain pizza and expects all of it to taste like Pizza Hut, Dominos, or Papa John's. The Bruno's I had after the EMU game was better than ever.

Chuck just likes his pizza with fresh goat cheese, capacola, shredded kamalata olives...etc

California Pizza Kitchen kind of person?
Lifetime member Miami Alumni Association
Goal-rilla
Casual basketball fan

That happened so fast I had to add another gorilla
Professor Fate
a/k/a Cookie Monster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 4Hawks wrote:
MUDawgFan wrote:
I am 4Hawks wrote:

Sounds like Chuck and Senior Dave Williams, have never experienced a fresh Bruno's pizza right out of the oven. You buy the $1.25 slice on the street after drinking, it's not gonna taste good. But you go in there sober, and it's like a fine dining experience.
JWags
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie Monster wrote:
I am 4Hawks wrote:
MUDawgFan wrote:
I am 4Hawks wrote:

Sounds like Chuck and Senior Dave Williams, have never experienced a fresh Bruno's pizza right out of the oven. You buy the $1.25 slice on the street after drinking, it's not gonna taste good. But you go in there sober, and it's like a fine dining experience.

I used to order a small Brunos to my dorm freshman and soph year a couple times a semester for dinner and I thought it was great. Cheese melted over the top of the toppings? It was a revelation. Most people disagreed with me, but then again, I would rather kick a piece of Brunos across High Street and eat it covered in filth than go to LaRosas.
killgas20
The Fan The Hoops Team Fears

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redlad wrote:
thechuck_2112 wrote:

I'm guessing you have not had SDS in the last few years- the new ownership worked hard on upgrading it - and they succeeded!!!! I encourage everyone to give it a try when you are in town.

Sorry to hear that Wink

Just kidding, I will give it a try next time I am in Oxford.

I hope they didn't change the quality of the subs or wings. Some of the best around.

Back in my day at Miami I recall Mac & Joe's, Circle Bar, & SDS being owned by the same person. I also recall seeing on here several years ago that wasn't the case anymore.
FormerTownie
Senior Barfly
Senior Barfly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 4Hawks wrote:
I don't know an alum over 30 or kid under 16 who thinks a trip to Oxford is complete without a trip to Bruno's....

As a former townie who is WAY over 30, I can't stand Bruno's! Never could. I've eaten there many times sober, drunk, hung over, in high school, in college, as an alum, pre-fire, post-fire...and I've still not figured out what the attraction is. It's soggy and greasy. That's about it.

SDS used to be fantastic, but slipped over the years. I had one this summer when I was back in town for a visit and really enjoyed it. That said, it's not like it used to be back in the day. But I AM glad to hear that the Turkey Gobbler is still most excellent!
bluesman
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie Monster wrote:
I am 4Hawks wrote:
MUDawgFan wrote:
I am 4Hawks wrote:

Brunos was .40 cents a slice when I started at Miami. I love Brunos.
thechuck_2112
Truck Killah!

Location: drinking Hennessy with Morrissey on a beach out of reach somewhere very far away

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie Monster wrote:
I am 4Hawks wrote:
MUDawgFan wrote:
I am 4Hawks wrote:

Indeed, I never went to Bruno's sober. Perhaps that's the problem! And I haven't been to SDS since the ownership change.

For the record, this is my favorite pizza place. It's two blocks from my apartment.

http://www.blacksheeppizza.com/

"You white people are crazy!" -- Matt Sussman
Skins
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only place that resembles east coast pizza in Cincy...

Chicago has it's place..but it's PIE....this is Za...

http://nocespizzeria.com/locations/
Italianredhawk25
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killgas20 wrote:
redlad wrote:
thechuck_2112 wrote:

Sorry to hear that Wink

I hope they didn't change the quality of the subs or wings. Some of the best around.

Back in my day at Miami I recall Mac & Joe's, Circle Bar, & SDS being owned by the same person. I also recall seeing on here several years ago that wasn't the case anymore.

The brothers who own Skipper's are now the owners of SDS, along with a 3rd guy, who I believe owned Alexander house before it closed.
HawkLBacker
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechuck_2112 wrote:
(Though the Turkey Gobbler is impossible to beat.)

with monterey jack cheese and banana peppers....

and i was quite partial to the chicago style with meatballs....
quantum
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

Location: 2011 REALTOR of The Year - Cincinnati Area Board of REALTORS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skins wrote:
Only place that resembles east coast pizza in Cincy...

Chicago has it's place..but it's PIE....this is Za...

http://nocespizzeria.com/locations/

That is between home and work, I will have to check them out!
redlad
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italianredhawk25 wrote:
killgas20 wrote:
redlad wrote:
thechuck_2112 wrote:

Sorry to hear that Wink

The brothers who own Skipper's are now the owners of SDS, along with a 3rd guy, who I believe owned Alexander house before it closed.

You are correct sir. And the subs are still terrific- also if you are a fan of chicken salad subs- there's can't be beat- it is a savory chicken salad not sweet.
redhawkhead
Off-Campus Slummer
Off-Campus Slummer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FormerTownie wrote:
I am 4Hawks wrote:
I don't know an alum over 30 or kid under 16 who thinks a trip to Oxford is complete without a trip to Bruno's....

As a former townie who is WAY over 30, I can't stand Bruno's! Never could. I've eaten there many times sober, drunk, hung over, in high school, in college, as an alum, pre-fire, post-fire...and I've still not figured out what the attraction is. It's soggy and greasy. That's about it.

Agree completely. It's good when you're blasted out of your gourd and also use the pizza as a projectile, otherwise it's not that good.
OldSchoolScholar
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, anyone who thinks there is a good pizza anywhere in Oxford has never been to Chicago.
But let's not rejuvenate this old thread again....we beat this horse to death some months ago.
Next topic......... Rolling Eyes
yanksalex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolScholar wrote:
IMHO, anyone who thinks there is a good pizza anywhere in Oxford has never been to Chicago.
But let's not rejuvenate this old thread again....we beat this horse to death some months ago.

and anyone who has only eaten in chicago has never had pizza.

bruno's is vile, and i had it at all levels of sobriety. though, that never stopped me from eating it when drunk, for the experience. the only non-chain oxford pizza i could really stomach was sds.
Professor Fate
a/k/a Cookie Monster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yanksalex wrote:
OldSchoolScholar wrote:

and anyone who has only eaten in chicago has never had pizza.

bruno's is vile, and i had it at all levels of sobriety. though, that never stopped me from eating it when drunk, for the experience. the only non-chain oxford pizza i could really stomach was sds.

THAT comment, I completely agree with! I've had the famous Chicago pizzas and have not been impressed with them. And this was IN Chicago at their restaurants. I don't remember them because I care not to and they were too pricey for what was not tasty in the least. No wonder people in Chicago hate New York. NY has the best deep dish pizza, even though Chicago lay claims to the best deep dish around.

New York pizza is great! Just awesome all the way around! Being from the Dayton area, I'm partial to Marion's. But I like all types of crust and am always willing to try out new pizzas from whereever. "You never know what you're gonna get!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MiamiHawkTalk.com Forum Index -> Oxford Press All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: