Filling our 2013 recruiting class

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MiamiHawkTalk.com Forum Index -> Men's Basketball Recruiting
« View previous topic :: View next topic »
bluesman
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Filling our 2013 recruiting class Reply with quote

Putting this here instead of the recruiting thread as it is just my random thoughts and not about a specific player. Having seen a few games on TV/Internet and now having had the pleasure to see this team live yesterday, I have a better feel of what Coach Cooper and his staff are trying to do. First of all, I really like what I have seen. It is a fun, uptempo style. At times we do get a bit to "playground" for my taste and a little sloppy, but the defensive pressure is tremendous. I talked yesterday with Trey Meyer and expressed to him how impressed I am with the way the team has taken to this new style and how well conditioned the team appears to be. They dont seem to be tired and it was quite apparent yesterday that we were the much stronger, physical team. JMU, with the exception of Goins, was rather thin.

All this as a lead in to my thoughts on filling those two open spots we have for graduating Vince L and the spot opened from Roderick Lawrence's dismissal from the team. I would like to see us fill those spots with a guard in the mold of Mcknight, a long lanky guard in the 6'3 mold who can both handle the ball and shoot it. Then the other spot, I would like another player like Jon Harris, that 6'7"-6'8" long lanky player (see the theme) who can handle the ball, is athletic, crashes the boards and is versatile enough on offense to both go inside and on occasion step outside like we have seen from Harris and Felder. If we could find a 6'10" player who can do those things, great, that would be a bonus. But Cooper goes a bit more "small ball"" and I am fine if we can find the Jon Harris type players. So I would like to see a guard, with a little size, and and frontcourt player in the 6'8" range. I emphasized the lanky part with long arms because I think that really lends itself well to the style offensively, and more importantly, defensively, that Cooper likes to play.

Last edited by bluesman on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
taw92
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like where you went with your assessment - question though - does Cooper have 1 or 2 openings? Did he promise a scholarship to Hawkins (big man transfer) or will he remain a walk-on next year?
bluesman
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taw92 wrote:
I like where you went with your assessment - question though - does Cooper have 1 or 2 openings? Did he promise a scholarship to Hawkins (big man transfer) or will he remain a walk-on next year?

My understanding is we currently have two open spots.
Fred Sofen
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Bob Knight allegedly said while detailing his perfect recruit, he said the player would be, "...7' tall, can dribble and pass with either hand, is strong around the basket offensively and defensively, shoots the three and plays defense like a bit#@."
I'll take one of those, please.
mrgredhawk
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outside of Hawkins, Ryan Hess is also a transfer, the game notes say he played at St. Joes, I'd imagine since he was added late he would be a walk-on
Fred Sofen
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With seven spots to fill after next season, I can't imagine banking another 'ship or two. We must do everything we can to fill our two spots this year. If we don't, it just further creates a grossly over-loaded class next year. Not a good situation to put your program in.
bluesman
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure the staff isnt looking to bank these two.
taw92
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgredhawk wrote:
outside of Hawkins, Ryan Hess is also a transfer, the game notes say he played at St. Joes, I'd imagine since he was added late he would be a walk-on

The media supplement clearly calls out Hess as a "walk-on" transfer to the team...on the Hawkins bio it just mentions that he will sit out this year as a transfer - no mention of him as a walk-on. We may only have one scholly open - which may be fine as 7-footers don't grow on trees.
NickSkin
Recruiting Guru Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taw92 wrote:
mrgredhawk wrote:

The media supplement clearly calls out Hess as a "walk-on" transfer to the team...on the Hawkins bio it just mentions that he will sit out this year as a transfer - no mention of him as a walk-on. We may only have one scholly open - which may be fine as 7-footers don't grow on trees.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hawkins has been told that he needs to earn a scholarship and that nothing is guaranteed. Certainly 1 of the 7 for 2014 would fit nicely if he earns it.

TXMURedskin on Treadwell's coaching staff: "We're putting the band back together!"

E tan e epi tas!
bluesman
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickSkin wrote:
taw92 wrote:
mrgredhawk wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Hawkins has been told that he needs to earn a scholarship and that nothing is guaranteed. Certainly 1 of the 7 for 2014 would fit nicely if he earns it.

I would guess this is exactly the case. I do not believe he has a scholarship for 2013, at least not one yet.
DICK
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of an odd situation. 7 of our top 9 players are juniors ( although both Sewell and Edwards are now out with injuries) and two are freshmen. The two freshmen we recruit this year might not earn a lot of playing time next year, but should be expected to start the following season. So these have to be two good players..Edwards, Harris, and Felder are all juniors, my priority would be getting athletic 6-6 to 6-8 guys who can run the court and play the press and score and hit the boards like these three guys.
Skins
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really need a REFILOE LETHUNYA type body not so much Harris.

And a guard that can really shoot..i.e. a "shooter"
bluesman
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well one spot is filled with 6'7" PF Joshua Oswald from Australia. Very nice looking pickup. SLU has done well recruiting Aussies so maybe this is the start of something.

http://www.muredhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26100&ATCLID=205781159&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MiamiHawkTalk.com Forum Index -> Men's Basketball Recruiting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: