Take Cover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MiamiHawkTalk.com Forum Index -> Oxford Press
« View previous topic :: View next topic »
Spanks004
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Take Cover Reply with quote

Tornado Warning for Oxford
MrG
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOrd was y'all got hammered hard by winds and hail- lightning etc. But missed the tail end charlies that swept into northwest Middletown.

I was online (WeatherHog #12675-NWS223OHBTLR) and in the soup so to speak (and with my neural and structural damage- it freaking hurts)- called in the Windwall-fall loations and the first dirty socks (funnels forming and hooking back up in rain wrap form) around us.) Looked like Franklin was going to get hammered from windwall shifting back across river- lightning let me see 3- yes three that looked fully formed - One main with two circling the main touchdown around Germantown Road just NNE of Middletown and NNW of Franklin. Called that in and did the 911 call- gave my code to operator who frankly- just panicked. _ Never ever heard one say= "GET THE fudge UNDER COVER" before - sure she was excited, but the targets were 12-15 miles from my home already and moving away. Then the tail end charlies came through middletown and trenton- spotted the two cones forming in the aft leg and called those in and to 911 too- told them - fire off the sirens. She once again asked why I called them- I said You're on my checklist silly wench (okay I was more polite) I gave her my NWS number and the code to enter for local over-ride alerts. 20 seconds later everything went nuts siren wise all the way to Franklin.
POwer went out- but got a call back from NWS- and I kept on phone with them in watching backside of the storm- ever seen plain white puffy cloud start to spin in what seems to be a layer of clear air well below the storm and try to form a cyclonic event? Amusing after seeing the big boys trying to form. Seeing the same puffy lacey cloud spit lightning like a cornered cat- NOT SO AMUSING as it was less than half a Klick away. First I'd ever seen of that event and I was live with NWS Wilmington at the time reporting it.
If I'm lucky my reports will be cross verified and I'll move from 12675 to over 15K points and get my own mini-weather station w/computer barometric station, mini trinocular (RBG) digital camera with thumb drive (no live feed yet- that takes storm chaser level of idiocy-- err points) and some other stuff I can aim at the storms and suspected cells and film and take snapshots -instant and timelapse to upload to the Wilmington NWS station.
Neighbors seemed amazed as I pointed out cloud types by name and threat- gave them the three minute warning to the second (well I was off- windwall lagged the hail by five seconds or so) But they did get the kids under cover as soon as they saw the lightning which usually is too late to act unless cover is really really close. Wouldn't mind witnessing nature and darwin at work here in my neighborhood, but the kids shouldn't suffer from parent's stubborness and idiocy.

OKAY how about some pictures and reports from Oxford. Just got another alert that at 738 Oxford had another Tstorm event agan that was major level too.

FOLKS this is just the start of the Night of Storms.
Cells going over middletown and franklin- just BLEW the F up and sucked in everything trailing them big time and started spinning. Was amazing to watch.

But everything down from Littlerock through Minnie is going to slide through the area late tonight and we're going to get POP up storms all the way up to that event and low pressure system's movement through the area.

Take the time and pack up the lose objects on porches and yard. Debris from same can cause major damage and kill the unwary even at just 50 mph gusts.

Leave some windows cracked open tonight to allow for major pressure changes and have fresh batteries in your NWS emergency radio, your flashlights, and take the time to prepare at least one meal that will keep w/o refrigeration as well has having several gallons of fresh clean water handy. (if you reuse milk jugs a half a cap of bleach w/full jug of water shaken and then poured out will make the container fairly sterilized- then you can store beverage mix (koolaide/gatorade mix) and water or pure water in them with a drop of chlorine before sealing them again and store them for several days in case of bad weather- and expected power outrages. Be prepared.

As for me taking the Cover I F'n needed too? Homes/apts built in 70's are pure matchboxes barely better than mobile homes I'm guessing, except two stories. ie death-traps in a real tornadic event. So I stay up and report until I can't.
End report.

Hope you and yours are safe-
If you're in Oxford or areas affected by the storm- please post storm damage pictures and perhaps your witness accounts.
Thanks,
Dick Evans, aka MrG
ESPN is to the BCS what FOX News is to the Republican party. Though it is hard to tell who's got their head up the arses of the other farther. Rest of the world, just has to watch their interests flicker by on the ticker tape meanwhile.
I am 4Hawks
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NE Ohio getting pounded at the moment as well.
Lifetime member Miami Alumni Association
Goal-rilla
Casual basketball fan

That happened so fast I had to add another gorilla
skin66
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We drove through some rough weather coming back to NW Ohio after the Indian's game.
icepics
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm SE of Oxford, seemed to be on the southern edge of it here earlier. Now shortly after 9 pm they're giving reports of 4" hail NW of Richmond IN. Ch. 7 Dayton has been on nonstop w/weather since the 6:00 news.

Apparently damage earlier at Dorothy Lane Market, I think the one south of Dayton Mall near South Metro ice rink for anyone local that knows that area. Some tornadic activity in the Xenia area earlier too. More on its way, could be a long night here in SW Ohio. For now staying north of Oxford.
JohnnyMac
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

Location: Born and raised in South Detroit (which is Toledo, BTW)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This girl in purple on the Weather Channel right now makes watching the weather pretty rewarding.
Mowch
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyMac wrote:
This girl in purple on the Weather Channel right now makes watching the weather pretty rewarding.

Yep.
kamuohio
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to get ugly again....
mz343
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyMac wrote:

She could easily be Erin Andrews's twin.

5 inches of rain in Ann Arbor, flooding down by Huron River and even some by the Big House.

-- Terry Hoeppner, as quoted by Ball State beatwriter Doug Zaleski
MrG
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got all three of my major sightings confirmed today.
The two dancers were also caught on film by a farmer NNE of middletown who's farm they tore up mud in. (he'd had a feeling and waited to put in crops- now that his fields are turned and plowed for him, he's thinking RICE since there's all this rain projected for the year...funny guy.

Catching the lacy streamer spinning and shooting lightning on camera and sending it in. (new cloud type maybe - Ionized clyclonic Lace Cloud- is proposed name) I counted 28-33 bolts from it in nearly clear skies behind the storm's tail end charlie leg passing over middletown/trenton/franklin- most went up into sky- rest went every which way. That's been forwarded to National level. If I get to name it I'm calling it the Cardashian Panties Twisted into a Bunch Storm Cloud...don't think it will fly- but I do get to name the specific conditions and event that caused it. It's been verified and witnessed too by five other trainspotters (lower rank weather reporters, and two that are over 10 K pts like me.) I'm just hoping I get to 15K before they run out of money so I don't have to wait till next year's budget to get my home weather station in a briefcase with all the cool tools too.
ESPN is to the BCS what FOX News is to the Republican party. Though it is hard to tell who's got their head up the arses of the other farther. Rest of the world, just has to watch their interests flicker by on the ticker tape meanwhile.
Spanks004
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I read today in the DDN a tornado was confirmed in Centerville by the National Weather Service...obviously small but did see pics of trees knocked over, some onto houses, and tennis ball size hail!
colonel panic
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the University Libraries, we have some cars that we drive to conferences, meetings, events out of town, regional campuses, etc. One of our librarians was on his way back from Columbus in the libraries' 2008 Civic Hybrid when he stopped in Centerville at a Panera for some coffee on Wednesday evening. As he was inside, the golf ball sized hail started to come down. He said it was like someone was dropping driving range buckets of golf balls -- not only were the hailstones that big, but they also came down in clumps.

Needless to say, all the windows were smashed out of the car.
renmanaz
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colonel panic wrote:
Here in the University Libraries, we have some cars that we drive to conferences, meetings, events out of town, regional campuses, etc. One of our librarians was on his way back from Columbus in the libraries' 2008 Civic Hybrid when he stopped in Centerville at a Panera for some coffee on Wednesday evening. As he was inside, the golf ball sized hail started to come down. He said it was like someone was dropping driving range buckets of golf balls -- not only were the hailstones that big, but they also came down in clumps.

Needless to say, all the windows were smashed out of the car.

If they were ProV-1s, it would be a real "windfall."
icepics
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tornado was confirmed off the regional highway between Hamilton and I-75. Not sure if that one was 'yours' or not Mr. G, I'm thinking it wasn't but was in your vicinity. Now they're predicting some strange bright thing in the sky for the holiday weekend! Time for some celebrating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MiamiHawkTalk.com Forum Index -> Oxford Press All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: