4 Open Spots: Who Will Get Them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MiamiHawkTalk.com Forum Index -> Men's Basketball Recruiting
« View previous topic :: View next topic »
mollautt
Credible Threat and Board Hussy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: 4 Open Spots: Who Will Get Them? Reply with quote

=>Here are the realistic possibilities of players who can end up and Miami (in my opinion and my opinion only):

BIGS - likely will take just 1

PF Reggie Keely:

PF Drew Kelly:

PF Danny McElroy:

C Drew McGhee:

PF Richie Phares*:

WINGS - Likely take 2 (1 WF, 1 2G), possibly 3

WF/PF Mark Anderson:

2G/WF Drew Barham*:

2G/WF/PF Bill Edwards:

WF Marquis Horne:

2G Colt Ryan:

2G Matt Vogrich:

Mystery JUCO/Transfer*: ?????

BALLHANDLERS - likely take 1, maybe 2.

CG Allen Roberts:

CG Aaron Robinson*:

Mystery JUCO/Transfer*: ?????

* = No known Miami offer

NOTE: Miami could also hold back 1 or 2 scholarships for the class of 2010. The Ohio class of 2010 is one of the strongest classes in years and Miami will only graduate 1 senior that year (Fletcher). It may be wise to hold some spots for that class.

TWITTER

I am the stone that the builder refused.
stevo
Wealthy Alum
Wealthy Alum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moll - I recall you writing over the past six months to a year that the 2009 class was the strongest in years. Has that not ended up being true, or is the 2010 class even stronger than a very strong 2009.

Or, the most deflating possibility, is Miami losing out on the kids who make it a strong class?
mollautt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo wrote:
Moll - I recall you writing over the past six months to a year that the 2009 class was the strongest in years. Has that not ended up being true, or is the 2010 class even stronger than a very strong 2009.

Or, the most deflating possibility, is Miami losing out on the kids who make it a strong class?

=>I don't think I ever said 2009 was one of the strongest in years. I believe I said Miami had a chance to have one of the best recruiting classes in years. I have never seen Miami legitimately in on some many very good players before.

Right now, Miami is good shape with the #4 (B.E.), #5 (Horne), #7 (McGhee), #8 (Keely), #9 (Orlando Williams-VERBAL), and #10 (McElroy) player in the state. Colt Ryan is the #1 player in Southern Indiana. Matt Vogrich is #4 in strong Illinois 2009 class. Drew Kelly is top 5 in Tennessee. Richie Phares is #2 in Kentucky. JUCO Mark Anderson led the nation in scoring as a frosh last year and named 2nd team All-American and would be a favorite to be named national player of the year. Drew Barham, along with Vogrich, is one of the best shooting in the nation.

At one time, Chris Colvin (#1 in Illinois) and Carl Jones (#2 in Ohio) were strongly considering Miami.

Overall, the Ohio class of 2009 is somewhat down to be honest. Consider that UC, Xavier, and OSU have not secured commitments from any Ohio 2009 kids and are not really looking to do so.

If Miami would land a 5 man recruiting class of...

CG Orlando Williams,

AND

2G Colt Ryan or Matt Vogrich,

AND

2G/WF/PF Billy Edwards or WF Marquis Horne,

AND

WF/PF Mark Anderson,

AND

PF Drew Kelly or PF Reggie Keely or PF Danny McElroy or Drew McGhee,

...it would be easily the best recruiting class since the 2005 class of Wally, Damon, A-Train, Mestas, and Ira Newble (greatest class in school history). It would unreal. I am not sh!tting you. Maybe the best midmajor recruiting class in the nation of going by pure talent (and not Hoopscoop's convoluted ranking system that ranked Ivan Renko so high ) -- top 5 minimum.

At a minimum, it would be at least as good as the Juby/Seals/Mason class. Wink

TWITTER

CoachTD
Summer Orientee
Summer Orientee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mollautt wrote:
stevo wrote:

=>I don't think I ever said 2009 was one of the strongest in years. I believe I said Miami had a chance to have one of the best recruiting classes in years. I have never seen Miami legitimately in on some many very good players before.

Right now, Miami is good shape with the #4 (B.E.), #5 (Horne), #7 (McGhee), #8 (Keely), #9 (Orlando Williams-VERBAL), and #10 (McElroy) player in the state. Colt Ryan is the #1 player in Southern Indiana. Matt Vogrich is #4 in strong Illinois 2009 class. Drew Kelly is top 5 in Tennessee. Richie Phares is #2 in Kentucky. JUCO Mark Anderson led the nation in scoring as a frosh last year and named 2nd team All-American and would be a favorite to be named national player of the year. Drew Barham, along with Vogrich, is one of the best shooting in the nation.

At one time, Chris Colvin (#1 in Illinois) and Carl Jones (#2 in Ohio) were strongly considering Miami.

Overall, the Ohio class of 2009 is somewhat down to be honest. Consider that UC, Xavier, and OSU have not secured commitments from any Ohio 2009 kids and are not really looking to do so.

If Miami would land a 5 man recruiting class of...

CG Orlando Williams,

AND

2G Colt Ryan or Matt Vogrich,

AND

2G/WF/PF Billy Edwards or WF Marquis Horne,

AND

WF/PF Mark Anderson,

AND

PF Drew Kelly or PF Reggie Keely or PF Danny McElroy or Drew McGhee,

...it would be easily the best recruiting class since the 2005 class of Wally, Damon, A-Train, Mestas, and Ira Newble (greatest class in school history). It would unreal. I am not sh!tting you. Maybe the best midmajor recruiting class in the nation of going by pure talent (and not Hoopscoop's convoluted ranking system that ranked Ivan Renko so high ) -- top 5 minimum.

At a minimum, it would be at least as good as the Juby/Seals/Mason class. Wink
6-4 SG Jacob Jenkins is now the #2 player in Kentucky and may even out-seat Hood for Mr. Basketball this year. Jenkins and Hood will square off in every major showcase event in Kentucky this season. Don't count Jenkins out as an 09 prospect.
mollautt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoachTD wrote:
6-4 SG Jacob Jenkins is now the #2 player in Kentucky and may even out-seat Hood for Mr. Basketball this year. Jenkins and Hood will square off in every major showcase event in Kentucky this season. Don't count Jenkins out as an 09 prospect.

=>By what publication? I was going to BGI.

http://www.bluegrassinsider.com/

Rick Bolus never breaks it down.

http://www.kyprephoops.com/0809/May08BolusKYBoys.html

TWITTER

CoachTD
Summer Orientee
Summer Orientee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mollautt wrote:
CoachTD wrote:

=>By what publication? I was going to BGI.

http://www.bluegrassinsider.com/

Rick Bolus never breaks it down.

http://www.kyprephoops.com/0809/May08BolusKYBoys.html

BGI is a ranking done by one person, Chris Fisher. The site is less than a year old and I wouldn't put much weight into that.

Bolus has it for the Class of '09 as they are listed in order:

1. Jon Hood
2. Jacob Jenkins
3. CJ Penny
4. Garrison Collins
5. Wes Cox
6. Richie Phares

Bolus has been in the business for 30 years as oppose to BGI for 9 months.

Rivals has Jenkins a 3-star and Phares a 2-star.

Phares holds no D1 offers, Jenkins holds several.

I think its also interesting to note Jenkins led the Kentucky junior allstar team for the 2 games in nearly every single stat including points (21 ppg), rebounds (6.5 apg), and assists (3 apg) while hitting over 70% of his shots. The team included Hood, Penny, and Phares.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MiamiHawkTalk.com Forum Index -> Men's Basketball Recruiting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: